We were reading today that the car from Smokey and Bandit is up for auction. Not the actual Trans Am but one of the models used to promote the movie. That lead us to wonder what famous cars would be included in the top 5 famous cars in the world? In no particular order here are 10 famous cars that were made popular by tv, movies or news in general. Of course, in no particular order.
1. The Original Batmobile – A 1955 Lincoln Futura was customized into the Batmobile for the 1965 television show. Three further copies were made to be displayed in malls and promote the show.
2. Herbie the Love Bug – A 1963 Volkswagen Beetle became famous in the series of Disney movies by the same name. Herbie had a mind of his own and was capable of driving himself, and is also a serious contender in auto racing competitions. There are over 30 Herbies around the world on display. We took this picture at the LINQ in Las Vega just last week.
3. Back to the Future Delorean – The 1981 DeLorean DMC 12 is probably one of the most recognizable cars in the world thanks the successful movie series Back to the Future. This time travelling car was so popular it led to an entire sub culture of fans that replicated the movie car.
4. KITT’ from Knight Rider – The 1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am wowed fans in the 1980’s. Highly intelligent car that could operate by itself and get David Hassellhoff out of terrible acting scenes every week.
5. Smokey and the Bandit – Here is the new article that started it all. Smokey and the Bandit Car Up for Auction. The movie used four 1977 Trans Am cars but they were all virtually destroyed making the movie. This one up for auction was used to promote the movie.