We are just back from spending a few days in Las Vegas. While Vegas can be expensive there are lots of things you can do for free and still have fun. Yeah right. Well it’s true. Not everything costs you an arm and a leg. We saved money and had a blast taking in quite a few free attractions. That left us with more money to drink and lose gambling.
1. Fall of Atlantis at Caesars Palace – A free animatronic show located in the Forum Shops runs every hour after 11:00 am until 11:00 pm. Located at large fish tank there is lots of eye candy to keep you busy and it’s all free.
2. The Bellagio Fountains – An 8 acre lake with a free water fountain and light show. Who couldn’t resist? They run all day and all night long. Took this photo from the Eiffel Tower at the Paris across the street, which is not free.
3. The Pinball Museum – This hidden gem is a little off the beaten path. Way down Tropicana Blvd. near the University. Who knew Las Vegas had a University. They have hundreds of pinball machines spanning decades and all are playable and most for only .25. We had fun seeing those old school machines from childhood,
4. The Volcano at the Mirage – Located right on the main strip the volcano is pretty impressive when it erupts. Unfortunately they have cut back on the times that it goes off. Now it’s only Sunday – Thursday 7:00 PM & 8:00 PM and Friday – Saturday 7:00 PM, 8:00 PM, 9:00 PM. You should be able to find enough time in your debauchery to squeeze it in.
5. The Welcome to Las Vegas Sign – What would a trip to Vegas be without stopping in and see the historical welcome sign. We went out the back door at Mandalay Bay and walked down to the sign but it’s a good trek there and back. There was also a person taking photos for tips when we there. It’s as free as you want it to be.
6. Fremont St Experience – This is probably the greatest hidden gem of Las Vegas. The old strip of historic casinos, covered by a canopy that plays videos to music, cheap beer and gambling, street performs and three stages of live free music. We could post a thousand photos of the party that takes place every night. Here is a Who light show. Full music was blasting.
7. Flamingos at The Flamingo – The Flamingo has a little wildlife sanctuary that is free. It’s not overly large but it’s a nice touch. Waterfall, stream, birds and a Chapel if you are looking to get hitched.
8. Bellagio Conservatory – We like to take Vegas in just before Christmas and one reason is the display at the Bellagio Conservatory. It’s a display that puts Clarke Griswald to shame. It’s a pretty busy place so get ready to go elbow to elbow for that perfect photo
9. Gondola Canals of the Venetian – The Venetian can best be described as breath taking. How many places have a full canal inside that you can take a Gondola Ride in (not free). What is free is that you can stroll through the shops and take in everything. The Canal and Bridges are a site to behold.
10. The Strip – For the last we will just add The Strip itself. Get out of the smokey casinos and treat yourself to all of the free street entertainment you can take in. Don’t get caught up with the sleaze bags trying to sell you time shares but take in the live performs. There are drummers, acrobats, break dancers, costumed freaks. It’s pure entertainment and its all free to take in. Of course you can always throw a tip or two to show your appreciation.