Since my other half constantly misplaces our passports I thought it should be time to step up and get a fireproof and waterproof safe to keep our important things in. Now that I have the safe I sat there looking at it pretty much empty and thought what should I be keeping in it. What important things should be put in a safe?
1. Important government documents such as your Passport, Birth Certificate or Social Insurance Cards. These are hard to replace in terms of pain in the butt factor and expensive. They should be locked up when not in use.
2. External hard drives, disk and usb sticks that have your back-ups, important data and most importantly your family photos. If you don’t have photos on a disc then the hard copies should be stored as well. Losing a computer to a fire is bad enough but losing your backup is even worse.
3. Keys to your vehicles or safety deposit boxes. Ever have to go to a dealership to get a new smart key? Painful and expensive. I would rather be hit in the head with a hammer than give a car dealership another $150 for a replacement key to drive one of their keys.
4. Any legal documents likes wills, living wills or power of attorney papers. This being said if you die and your will is locked in a safe that nobody can get to it’s not doing your corpse or the one that poisoned for the money any good either. You should make sure your lawyer etc has access to documents like this.
5. Deeds and titles to any properties or vehicles you own. Again, painful and costly to replace.
There are probably a dozen more things you can put in your fireproof safe but these are a few good suggestions. Replacing most of the things on this list are expensive and a pain in the rear end to replace.